1. Download Skype for free at Skype.com.
2. Register and create a Skype Login Name and Password.
3. Confirm that you have a webcam and microphone.
4. Schedule a Skype appointment by emailing email@example.com. In your email, please provide the following information:
• Your first and last name, NUID, primary reasons for your appointment and why you need a Skype appointment
• Skype username
• Requested CBA Advisor (not all CBA Advisors are available on Skype)
• Available days and times (Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Central time only)
A CBA Undergraduate Programs Office staff member will contact you within 48 hours of sending your Skype appointment request. Be aware that not every CBA Advisor is available for Skype appointments.
5. Prior to your appointment:
• You will receive an “Add you on Skype” contact request from the CBA Advising Office (CBA-Advising). Please accept the request.
• Prepare for your advising appointment by reviewing your Degree Audit and your transcript/course history in MyRed.
Have your questions for the advisor ready.
6. Sign into Skype with your account at least 5 minutes prior to your appointment time. Allow time to download any plugins or updates.
7. Your advisor will initiate the video call.
8. Have your NCard available for authentication.
9. After your Skype advising session, the advising notes from your session will be sent to your preferred email through MyPlan.
Due to the limited number of Skype appointments, your session must be scheduled in advance.
• Be prepared as if you were attending a regular appointment on campus.
• Remain in one place that is stationary for the entire appointment. You cannot be moving with your laptop, phone, or device during the appointment.
• Conduct the appointment in a private/personal setting and not in a public area (ex: coffee shop). Information about your
academic record will be discussed via Skype and visible/audible to anyone around you.
o If you choose to conduct your appointment in a public space, please be advised that your privacy may not be maintained.
• Ensure that background noise is minimal so it does not disrupt your appointment and your advisor can hear you clearly.
• Verify your identity by having your NCard available.
• Ensure you have a full battery life on your electronic device or the ability to plug in.
• Have all technical equipment needed to use Skype; this includes working audio and video through webcam, microphone, etc.
These must all be in place and you are responsible for testing your equipment to verify they are in working order before your appointment time.
If any of the above conditions are not met, the advising appointment will be immediately stopped and you will be required to schedule
an in-person appointment at a later date.
Return to Academic Advising Homepage